Neiger, M. (2000). The Literary Supplements and the Shaping of Israeli Culture: The Literary Supplements in the Israeli Press (1948-1995), Ph.D. Dissertation, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem. (Advisers: Yitzhak Roeh (Dept. of Communication and Journalism, Hebrew University) and Ruth Karton-Bloom (Dept. of Hebrew Literature, Hebrew University). Awarded April, 2000.
Meyers, O. PI, Zandberg, E. PI &, Neiger, M. PI (2014). Communicating Awe: Media Memory and Holocaust Commemoration. London: Palgrave Macmillan. The book is part of the "Palgrave Macmillan Memory Studies Series" (Series editors: Andrew Hoskins and John Sutton).
Neiger M. (2017). Publishers as Culture Mediators: The Cultural History of Hebrew Publishing in Israel (1910-2010). Jerusalem: MN Publishing (ISBN: 978-965-91977-0-5), 702 pp. [in Hebrew] [Link to the full book]
Awarded – Best Academic Book in Media Studies Prize 2019 (Awarded by the Israel Communication Association); Mentions - Prof. Israel Bartal (former Dean of Humanities, Hebrew U.) opening remarks on the book before its presentation at the Hebrew Literature Dep. colloquium as the respondent and moderator of the presentation; Reviews: Prof. Rafi Mann (Ariel U.) - review of the book (journal: Media Frames, 2019); Prof. Uzi Eliada (Haifa U.) - review of the book.
- Neiger, M., Blondheim, M., & Liebes, T. (Eds.) (2008). Telling Media Stories – Reflections on Media Discourse. Jerusalem: Magnes & Smart Institute, Hebrew University. (380 pp.). [in Hebrew]
- Neiger, M., Meyers, O., & Zandberg, E. (Eds.) (2011). On Media Memory: Collective Memory in a New Media Age. London: Palgrave Macmillan. (300 pp.). The volume is part of the "Palgrave Macmillan Memory Studies Series" (Series editors: Andrew Hoskins and John Sutton).
Impact: The bestselling book among the 54 books of the "Palgrave Macmillan Memory Studies Series". 14,736 views in Academia.edu. For a summary of the reviews see here, Google Scholar Citations=359.
Reviews: A. Christine Lohmeier's review in Media, Culture & Society; B. Ingrid Volkmer's review in Journal of Communication; C. Hilde Van Den Bulck's review in Historical Journal of Film, Radio and Television; D. Debi Withers' review in Memory Studies; E. Robert E. Gutsche's review in Journal of Communication Inquiry; F. Amanda Lagerkvist's review in Nordicom-Information (in Swedish)
CHAPTERS IN BOOKS
- Neiger M. (1996). The life of the poet and essayist Yeshurun Keshet. In: Yeshurun Keshet – The Lost Treasure (pp. 631-664). Jerusalem: Carmel. [in Hebrew].
- Kohn A. PI & Neiger, M. PI (2007). To talk and to talkback: The rhetoric of the Talk-Back in Israeli online newspapers. In T. Altshuler (Ed.). Journalism dot com: online newspapers in Israel (pp. 321-350). Jerusalem: The Israeli Democratic Institute. [Citations=31].
- Neiger, M. (2007). News speculating the future. In D. Caspi (Ed.). Media and Politics in Israel (pp. 75-90). Jerusalem: Van-Leer Institute. [in Hebrew, Extended version of an article published in Journalism].
- Neiger, M. (2008). How to Read Texts in the Media – A critical model for interpretation of texts. In M. Neiger, Blondheim M. & Liebes, T (Eds.). Telling Media Stories – Reflections on Media Discourse (pp. 41-60). Jerusalem: Magnes & Smart Institute, Hebrew University. [In Hebrew]
- Neiger, M. PI & Kohn A. PI (2008). A Three-Dimensional Perspective for Cultural Interpretation of Protest Performances. In Alexander T. (Ed.) Igud – Essays on Jewish Studies and Literature (pp. 227-245). Jerusalem: The World Union of Jewish Studies. [In Hebrew]
- Neiger, M. (2010). Real love has no boundaries? - Dating reality tv shows between global format and local-cultural conflicts. In A. Hetshroni (Ed.) Reality Television: Merging the Global and the Local. Hauppauge (pp. 123-136). NY: Nova Science Publishers.
- Neiger, M. (2010). The trends and the impact of the books bestseller list. In: Kasel, L. and Hakak Y. (Eds.). The limits of quantifications: Critical perspectives on measuring and grading people, their behaviors and achievements (pp. 247-263). Beer-Sheva: The Ben-Gurion University and the Israeli Association for Qualitative Research Methods. [in Hebrew].
- Neiger, M. PI, Meyers, O. PI, Zandberg, E. PI (2011). On media memory - an introduction. In: Neiger, M., Meyers, O., Zandberg, E. (Eds.). On Media Memory: Collective Memory in a New Media Age (pp. 1-24). London: Palgrave Macmillan. [Citations=110]
- Neiger, M. PI, Meyers, O. PI, Zandberg, E. PI (2011). Localizing collective memory: regional radio stations in Israel and the construction of "regional memory" In: Neiger, M., Meyers, O., Zandberg, E. (Eds.). On Media Memory: Collective Memory in a New Media Age (pp. 156-174). London: Palgrave Macmillan. [Cit.=23]
- Neiger, M., Zandberg, E., & Meyers, O. (2014). "Reversed memory": Journalistic work between traumatic past and triumphal present. In Zelizer B. & Tenenboim-Weinblatt, K. (Eds.). Journalism & Memory. London: Palgrave Macmillan. [important collection, featuring leading scholars in the field of journalism and collective memory. Cit=31].
- Neiger, M. (2015). Regimenting the agenda – An insider perspective from the Israel Broadcasting Authority Ethics Committee" in N. Elias, Z. Reich, G. Nimrod & A.Schejter (Eds.). Media in Transition. Tel-Aviv: Tsivonim. [in Hebrew].
- Tenenboim-Weinblatt, K. & Neiger, M. (2019). “The Past, Present, and Future of Journalism and Memory” in Wahl-Jorgensen, K. & T. Hanitzsch (eds.) The Handbook of Journalism Studies. Routledge.
- Neiger, M., Berger-Tikochinski, T., Yaler-Tsuria, A. & Manny-Ikan, E. (2020). Walking in someone else's shoes: Virtual reality as a tool for empathy and engagement in social skills education. In: Blau, I., Caspi, A., Eshet-Alkaley, Y., et al (Eds.), Learning in the Digital Era (pp. 81-91). Ra'anana: Open University, Chais center for the study of innovation and learning technologies. [in Hebrew]
ARTICLES IN REFEREED JOURNALS
- Neiger, M. (2000). The origins of literary supplements. Reeh: European journal of Hebrew studies, 4: 55-75.
- Neiger, M. PI and Roeh, I. (2003). The secular holy scriptures: The role of the holyday literary supplements in the Israeli press and culture. Journalism: Theory, Practice & Criticism, 4(4), 477-489.
- Neiger, M. PI and Zandberg, E. PI (2004). Days of awe: The praxis of news coverage of violent conflict. Communications - The European Journal of Communication, 29, 429-446.
- Neiger, M. (2004). When Literature Meets the Press – Trends in the Literary Supplements of Daily Newspapers in Israel, From the 1950s to the 1990s . Hebrew Studies, 45, 119-131.
- Zandberg, E. and Neiger, M. (2005). Between the nation and the profession: Journalists as members of contradicting communities. Media, Culture & Society, 27(1), 131-141.
- Neiger, M. (2007). Media oracles: The political import and cultural significance of news referring to the future. Journalism: Theory, Practice & Criticism, 8(3): 326-338.
- Neiger, M. (2008). The Establishment of the publishing industry in the Land of Israel. Kesher, 37: 82-92.
- Neiger, M. PI, Meyers, O. PI & Zandberg, E. PI (2009). Songs to Remember: Popular Culture, Collective Memory and Radio Broadcasts on Israel's Memorial Day for the Holocaust and the Heroism. Megamot, 46(1-2): 254-280. [in Hebrew]
- Meyers, O. PI, Zandberg, E. PI & Neiger, M. PI (2009). Prime time commemoration: An analysis of television broadcasts on Israel's Memorial Day for the Holocaust and the Heroism. Journal of Communication, 59: 456-480.
- Neiger, M. PI, Zandberg, E. PI, & Meyers, O. PI (2010). Communicating critique: Towards a conceptualization of journalistic criticism. Communication, Culture and Critique, 3(3): 377-395.
- Neiger, M. PI & Abdulahib, N.S (2011). The publishing experience: Examining books and internet literary sites publishing processes from the writers' point-of-view. Kesher, 41: 54-64. [in Hebrew]
- Neiger, M. PI & Rimmer-Tsory, K. S (2011). Nationalism and war representations in Israel's newspaper during the Second Lebanon War on 2006. Israel Studies in Language and Society. 3(2): 86-113 [in Hebrew].
- Neiger, M. PI, Zandberg, E. PI, & Meyers, O. PI (2011). Tuned to the nation's mood: Popular music as a mnemonic cultural object. Media, Culture & Society. 33(7): 971-987.
- Meyers, O. PI, Neiger, M. PI & Zandberg, E. PI (2011). Structuring the sacred: Media Professionalism and the Production of Mediated Holocaust Memory. Communication Review, 14(3): 123-144.
- Zandberg, E. PI, Neiger, M. PI, & Meyers, O. PI (2011). Past Continuous: Newsworthiness and the Shaping of Collective Memory. Critical Studies in Media Communication, 29(1): 65-79.
- Neiger, M. (2012). Cultural Oxymora: The Israeli idol negotiates meanings and readings. Television and New Media, 13(6): 535-550.
- Neiger, M. PI & Rimer-Tsory K.(2013). The War that wasn't on the News: "In-group nationalism" and "out-group nationalism" in newspaper supplements. Journalism: Theory, Practice & Criticism, 14: 721-736.
- Tenenboim-Weinblatt, K. PI & Neiger, M. PI (2015). Print is Future, Online is Past: Cross-Media Analysis of Temporal Orientations in the News. Communication Research, 42(8): 1047-1067.
- Neiger, M. PI & Tenenboim-Weinblatt, K. PI (2016). Understanding Journalism through a Nuanced Deconstruction of Temporal Layers in News Narratives. Journal of Communication, 66(1): 139-160.
- Neiger, M. (2017). Media role in Shaping Shared Futures. Israel Studies in Language and Society. 9(2): 142-163.
- Tenenboim-Weinblatt, K. PI, & Neiger, M. PI (2018). Temporal affordances in the news. Journalism, 19(1), 37-55.
- Neiger, M. (2020). Theorizing Media Memory: Six Elements Defining the Role of the Media in Shaping Collective Memory in the Digital Age. Sociology Compass. 14(5).
Monographs and Research Reports
- Neiger M. PI, Zandberg, E. PI, & Abu-Raya, I. PI (2001). Israeli Media or Jewish Media? – The Role of Israeli Media in Covering the Clashes between Israeli-Arab citizens and the police on October 2000. Jerusalem: Keshev – Center for the Democracy. (40 pp.) [in Hebrew].
- Neiger, M. PI & Josman, A. S (2005). The Illusion of Democratic Choice: How Reality Shows Obtain Audience Cooperation. Tel Aviv: Haim Herzog Institute, Tel-Aviv University. (40 pp.). [in Hebrew].
- Neiger, M. PI, Zandberg, E. PI & Meyers M. PI (2007). The Public role of Commercial Media: Television and Radio Broadcasts during Israel's Memorial Day for the Holocaust and the Heroism, 1991-2004. (97 pp.). [in Hebrew]
- Neiger, M. PI, Zandberg, E. PI & Meyers M. PI (2008). The Rhetoric of Criticism: Challenging Criticism, Reaffirming Criticism, and Israeli Journalism during the Second Lebanon War. The Media in the Lebanon War series, Tel-Aviv: The Rothschild-Caesarea School of Communication, Tel Aviv University. (52 pp.). [in Hebrew]
Other Academic Publications
- Neiger, M. (1993). The mother, the son and the spirit of postmodernism. Efes-Shtaim, 2, 128-134. [in Hebrew, Editor: Yiegal Schwrtz]
- Neiger M. (2002). Fantasy discourse, the media and the second Intifada. Panim, 23, 45-52.
- Neiger M. (2003). The literary supplement as a ritual. Panim, 27, 12-22.
- Neiger, M. (2005). The Battlefield of Images: The TV reality show "The Ambassador" (HaSagrir) and Israeli myths. Panim, 31, 75-80.
- Neiger, M (2008, January). The plurality of culture: Poetry in the media. Society, Poetry, Place (online journal), Issue number 28.
- Neiger, M., Blondheim, M. & Liebes, T (2008). Introduction: Telling media stories and the trajectory of Itzhak Roeh. In M. Neiger, Blondheim M. & Liebes, T (eds.). Telling media stories – reflections on media discourse. Jerusalem: Magnes & Smart Institute, Hebrew University.
- Neiger, M. (2013) Fear or hope? - How the media shapes our perceptions regarding the future and solvability of political conflicts. Discourse, Culture, and Education in the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict (pp. 4-9). The S. Daniel Abraham Center for Strategic Dialogue and the Friedrich Ebert Stiftung.