Dr. Yaeli Bloch-Elkon
1997 B.A. - Political Science-Public Communications
(summa cum laude)
1997 Professional Diploma in Mass Media and Journalism
(magna cum laude)
1999 M.A.- Political Science-Public Communications
(magna cum laude)
2003 Ph.D. - Political Science-Public Communications
(University Fellowship of Excellence)
2004-07 Post-Doctoral Research - Department of Political Science and the
Institute for Social and Economic Research and Policy (ISERP)
|2004-05||Visiting Scholar, Columbia University, NY, Department of Political Science|
|2006-to-Date||Associate Research Scholar, Columbia University, NY, Institute for Social and Economic Research and Policy (ISERP)|
|2008-to-Date||Research Associate, Bar Ilan University, Begin-Sadat Center For Strategic Studies (BESA)|
Assistant Chair, Public Communication Program,
Bar Ilan University
Secretary, Israeli Political Science Association (IPSA).
Assistant Head, International Policy and Communication
Center, Bar Ilan University
Assistant Editor, PATUACH/PCS: Journal of Politics,
Communications, and Society [Hebrew]
Advisor, Division of Academic Coordination and
Memberships in Professional Organizations:
International Communication Association (ICA);
International Studies Association (ISA); American
Association for Public Opinion Research (AAPOR);
American Political Science Association (APSA);
Israel Communication Association (ISCA); Israel
Political Science Association (ISPSA)
Undergraduate Adviser, Public Communication
Program, Bar Ilan University
Book/Paper/Grant Proposal Reviewer for
Professional/Academic Journals, Publishers:
Harvard/ International Journal of Press/Politics;
Journal of Political Communication; Journal of
Communication; Journalism; Political Science
Quarterly; Public Opinion Quarterly; Foreign
Policy Analysis; International Political Science
Review; International Studies Quarterly; Critical
Studies on Terrorism; International Review of Social
Psychology etc.; Rowman & Littlefield Publishers
(book proposals and manuscripts); SAGE
Publications (book proposals).
Lectures for the "Israel Bonds" (Development
corporation for Israel), and the Israeli Council,
Public Relations and Academic Affairs, NY, USA.
Special assistant, Chair, Communication Program,
Bar Ilan University Establishment of School of
Communication proposal to Higher Education Council.
Executive Committee, Israel Communication
Pedagogy Committee, Communications Program,
Bar Ilan University.
Grants and Research Committee, School of
Communication, Bar Ilan University.
Rosner's Domain, The Israel Factor, panelist.
Communication and Technology (1998-2000)
Introductory courses in Political Studies and International Relations (Head T.A., 1998-2001)
Introductory course in Mass Communications (2001-2004, 2007-to-Date)
Communications: Theory and Practice (2003-2004)
Seminar in Political Communications and Public Opinion (2006-to-date)
Seminar in Diplomacy, Media and Public Opinion (T.A., 1999-2001)
Seminar on Media, Public Opinion and Foreign Policy (2006-2011)
Advanced Methodology and Statistics (2007-2011)
Communications, Public Opinion and Policy (2010-to-Date)
Prizes, Scholarships and Awards
1996-7 Dean’s List, Bar Ilan University
1997 Rector's Honors Award, Bar Ilan University
1998-9 “Master of Achievement” Fellowship, Bar Ilan University
2000 Outstanding Master's Thesis Award, Israeli Political Science Association (ISPA)
2000-3 University Fellowship of Excellence for Doctoral Studies -
President and Dean Award, Bar Ilan University
2001 Scholarship for Excellence in Masters Degree, NA’AMAT
2011 Grants for participation in an International Conference, USA:
1) International Studies Association (ISA); 2) Bar Ilan Ph.D.
Committee; 3) Department of Political Science, Bar Ilan University
2003 Outstanding Young Teacher’s Award, International Communication Association
2004 Outstanding Ph.D. Dissertation Award, Israeli Political Science Association (ISPA)
2004 Schnitzer Fund for Research on the Economy and Society in Israel, Faculty of Social
Sciences, Bar Ilan University
2004-5 Post Doctoral Fellowship - President, Rector and Dean Award, Bar Ilan University
2005 Post Doctoral Grant, Department of Political Science, Bar Ilan University
2006-7 Grants for participation in Inter/national Conferences,
School of Arts and Sciences, Columbia University, NY. (Canada, Philadelphia, California, Chicago)
2012 Rector's Research Grant, Bar Ilan University
2013 Choice Magazine: CHOICE Outstanding Academic Title Award
2013 Carl Couch Center: The Bruce E. Gronbeck Political Communication
Sarit Aharonovich. Media Framing: The Israeli Press during the First and Second Intifada.
(Co-supervised w/ Prof. S. Lehman-Wilzig). Approved September 2004, completed October 2006.
Chen Pikholz. Media Reality Reconstruction and the War on Terrorism.
Approved July 2010, towards completion.
Micelle Stein Teer. Personal Communication Profile: An Experimental Approach towards Effective Political Rhetoric. Approved July 2013.
[New students in the stage of writing proposals towards approval].
Israel Tal-Seranga. Framing IDF Generals in the Israeli Media, 2004-2008.
(Co-supervised w/ Prof. E. Gilboa). Approved April 2010, completed July 2012.
Micelle Stein Teer. Beyond Words: Political Rhetoric and Media Coverage, Framing Personal
Communication Profiles (PCP). Towards submission of research proposal.
1993 Commissioned Officer (Lieutenant), Intelligence Branch Research Division Israel Defense Force, IDF
2004 Accepted for a Post-Doctoral research at 8 leading universities (Harvard, MIT,Columbia, Yale, Duke, Northwestern, Berkley and UK Cambridge).
2004-2007 Fund Raising – Representative of Bar Ilan University’s Global Division to NY, Midwest and Florida. Presentations and solicitation from donors
and potential donors.
MAIN RESEARCH INTERESTS
Political Communications: Media Framing, Mass Media and Terrorism;
Media and International Crisis/ Foreign Policy
Public Opinion; Political Polarization
Advanced Quantitative Methods
- Nacos, Brigitte L., Bloch-Elkon, Yaeli and Shapiro, Robert Y. (2011). Selling Fear: Counterterrorism, the Media and Public Opinion. Chicago University Press.
[Was reviewed in: Political Communication (2011); Public Opinion Quarterly (2012); Choice Review
(2012); International Journal of Public Opinion Research (2012); Political Science Quarterly (2012)]
Won: Choice Magazine: 2013 CHOICE Outstanding Academic Title Award.
The 2013 Bruce E. Gronbeck Political Communication Research Award.
2. Bloch, Yael (2001). Contemporary Political Ideologies – Student Instructional Manual. Tel Aviv: The Open-University. (Hebrew).
3. Bloch, Yael, Co-Editor (2001). Modern Ideologies: A Reader (Two volumes, 850 p.). Tel Aviv: Open University (Hebrew).
Articles and Book Chapters
- Bloch, Yaeli and Lehman-Wilzig, Sam (2001). "An Exploratory Model of Media – Government Relations in International Crisis: U.S Involvement in Bosnia 1992-1995", in Gilboa, E. (ed.), Media and Conflict: Framing Issues, Making Policy, Shaping Opinions. NY, Transnational Publishers, pp. 153-173.
- Auerbach, Yehudit and Bloch-Elkon, Yaeli (2005). "The Press and Foreign Policy: New York Times and Washington Post vis-à-vis U.S Policy in Bosnia". Journal of Peace Research, 42 (1), pp. 83-99.
- Bloch-Elkon, Yaeli and Shapiro, Robert Y. (2005)."Deep Suspicion: Iraq, Misperception, and Partisanship". Public Opinion Pro - POP (Public Prospective Online), 15 pp.
- Bloch-Elkon, Yaeli (2007). "The Polls-Trends: Preventing Terrorism after the 9/11 Attacks". Public Opinion Quarterly, Vol. 71 (1), pp.142-163.
- Bloch-Elkon, Yaeli (2007). “Studying the Media, Public Opinion and Foreign Policy in International Crises: The United States and the Bosnian Crisis 1992-1995”. The Harvard International Journal of Press/Politics, Vol. 12 (4), pp. 20-51.
- Nacos, Brigitte L., Bloch-Elkon, Yaeli and Shapiro, Robert Y. (2007). “Post-9/11 Terrorism Threats, News Coverage, and Public Perception in the United States”. International Journal of Conflict and Violence, Vol. 1 (2), pp. 105-126.
- Bloch-Elkon, Yaeli and Lehman-Wilzig, Sam (2007). "Media Functioning during a Violent International Crisis: Differences between Elite and Popular Press Coverage of American Policy in Bosnia (1992-95)", in Nossek, H. Sreberny A. & Sonwalker P. (eds.), Media and Political Violence. NJ: Hampton, pp. 119-142.
- Shapiro, Robert Y. and Bloch-Elkon, Yaeli (2007). “Ideological Partisanship and American Public Opinion toward Foreign Policy”, in Halperon M.H et al. (eds.), Power and Superpower: Global Leadership and Exceptionalism in the 21st Century. NY: The Century Foundation Press, pp. 49-68.
- Nacos, Brigitte L., Bloch-Elkon, Yaeli and Shapiro, Robert Y. (2007). "The Threat of International Terrorism after 9/11: New Coverage and Public Perceptions”. Public Opinion Pros (Public Prospective Online), 15 pp.
- Nacos, Brigitte L., Bloch-Elkon, Yaeli and Shapiro, Robert Y. (2008). “Prevention of Terrorism in Post-9/11 America: News Coverage, Public Perceptions and the Politics of Homeland Security”. Terrorism and Political Violence, Vol. 20 (1), pp.1-25.
- Shapiro, Robert Y. and Bloch-Elkon, Yaeli (2008). "Do the Facts Speak for Themselves? Partisan Disagreement as a Challenge to Democratic Competence." Critical Review, Vol. 20 (1-2), pp.115-139.
- Shapiro, Robert Y. and Bloch-Elkon, Yaeli (2008). “Foreign Policy, Meet the People”. The National Interest, no. 97, September/October, pp. 37-42.
- Snyder, Jack L., Shapiro, Robert Y. and Bloch-Elkon, Yaeli (2009). “Free Hand Abroad, Divide and Rule at Home”. World Politics, January, pp.155-187.
- Bloch-Elkon, Yaeli and Shapiro, Robert Y. (2009). “Partisan Conflict and American Public Opinion towards East Asia". The Journal of Asiatic Studies, Vol. 52 (1), pp. 240-286.
- Bloch-Elkon, Yaeli (2011). "The Polls-Tends: Public Perceptions and the Threat of International Terrorism After 9/11", Public Opinion Quarterly, 75, pp. 366-392.
- Nacos, Brigitte L. and Bloch-Elkon, Yaeli (2011). "The Media, Public Opinion, and Terrorism", in Shapiro, R. Y. & Jacobs L. (eds.), Oxford Handbook of American Public Opinion and the Media. Oxford University Press, pp.69-712.
- Snyder, Jack J., Shapiro, Robert Y. and Bloch-Elkon, Yaeli (2011). "Free Hand Abroad, Divide and Rule at Home", in Ikenberry, J. G., Mastanduno, M. & Wohlforth W. C. (eds.), International Relations Theory and the Consequences of Unipolarity, Cambridge University Press, pp.178-215.
- Snyder, Jack J., Shapiro, Robert Y. and Bloch-Elkon, Yaeli (2012) "Free Hand Abroad, Divide and Rule at Home", in Snyder, Jack (ed.), Power and Progress: International Politics in Transition. New York, Routledge, pp. 236-256.
- Bloch-Elkon, Yaeli and Nacos L., Brigitte (2014). "News and Entertainment Media: Government’s Big Helpers in the Selling of Counterterrorism", Perspectives on Terrorism, 8, pp.18-32.
- Bloch-Elkon, Yaeli and Raynhold, Jonathan (2016). "Israeli Attitudes to the Obama Administration", in Inbar, Efraim, Raynhold, Jonathan (eds.), US Foreign Policy and Global Standing in the 21st Centuary. New York, Routledge., pp.248-266.
- Nacos, Brigitte L. and Yaeli Bloch-Elkon (2018). "U.S Media and Post 9-11 Human Rights Violations in the name of Counterterrorism", Human Rights Review, pp.1-18.
Bloch-Elkon, Yaeli (2005). "Silent Voices: Public Opinion and Political Participation in America", by Adam J. Berinsky, Political Science Quarterly, Vol. 120, pp. 516-518.
Last Updated Date : 11/09/2022