ד"ר יעלי בלוך אלקון
Yaeli Bloch-Elkon, PhD, is a senior lecturer/associated professor of Communications and Political Science at Bar Ilan University, Israel. She is an associate research scholar at the university’s Begin –Sadat Center for Strategic Studies (BESA), and at Columbia University’s Institute for Social and Economic Research and Policy (ISERP) where she is also a member of a research group in the department of Political Science.
Born in NYC, she was educated at Bar Ilan University specializing in Political Studies and Communications (B.A. 1997, Summa Cum Lauda; Professional Diploma in Mass Media and Communications, 1997, Magna Cum Laude; M.A. 1999, Magna Cum Lauda; PhD 2003,Doctoral of Excellence Fellowship), and at Columbia University, NY (Post-Doc fellowship). She served as a Visiting Scholar (2004-2005) and as attending Associate Research Scholar (2006-2007) at Columbia University (CU). Before her studies she served as a Lieutenant in the Intelligence Branch Research Division, IDF (1991-1993).
Dr. Bloch-Elkon has published articles in numerous journals on the topic of media, public opinion and foreign policy, terrorism and counterterrorism, and partisan polarization, and serves as a book and papers' reviewer for professional and academic journals. She received various awards for teaching and research activities, and her co-authored book on Selling Fear: Counterterrorism, Media and Public Opinion, published by Chicago University Press (2011), received great reviews in leading journals and won prestigious prizes from Choice Magazine: 2013 CHOICE Outstanding Academic Title Award, and The 2013 Bruce E. Gronbeck Political Communication Research Award.
קישור לקורות החיים- -bloch-elkon_Yael-cv2018.docx
- Nacos, Brigitte L., Bloch-Elkon, Yaeli and Shapiro, Robert Y. (2011). Selling Fear: Counterterrorism, the Media and Public Opinion. Chicago University Press.
[Was reviewed in: Political Communication (2011); Public Opinion Quarterly (2012); Choice Review
(2012); International Journal of Public Opinion Research (2012); Political Science Quarterly (2012)]
Won: Choice Magazine: 2013 CHOICE Outstanding Academic Title Award.
The 2013 Bruce E. Gronbeck Political Communication Research Award.
2. Bloch, Yael (2001). Contemporary Political Ideologies – Student Instructional Manual. Tel Aviv: The Open-University. (Hebrew).
3. Bloch, Yael, Co-Editor (2001). Modern Ideologies: A Reader (Two volumes, 850 p.). Tel Aviv: Open University (Hebrew).
Articles and Book Chapters
- Bloch, Yaeli and Lehman-Wilzig, Sam (2001). "An Exploratory Model of Media – Government Relations in International Crisis: U.S Involvement in Bosnia 1992-1995", in Gilboa, E. (ed.), Media and Conflict: Framing Issues, Making Policy, Shaping Opinions. NY, Transnational Publishers, pp. 153-173.
- Auerbach, Yehudit and Bloch-Elkon, Yaeli (2005). "The Press and Foreign Policy: New York Times and Washington Post vis-à-vis U.S Policy in Bosnia". Journal of Peace Research, 42 (1), pp. 83-99.
- Bloch-Elkon, Yaeli and Shapiro, Robert Y. (2005)."Deep Suspicion: Iraq, Misperception, and Partisanship". Public Opinion Pro - POP (Public Prospective Online), 15 pp.
- Bloch-Elkon, Yaeli (2007). "The Polls-Trends: Preventing Terrorism after the 9/11 Attacks". Public Opinion Quarterly, Vol. 71 (1), pp.142-163.
- Bloch-Elkon, Yaeli (2007). “Studying the Media, Public Opinion and Foreign Policy in International Crises: The United States and the Bosnian Crisis 1992-1995”. The Harvard International Journal of Press/Politics, Vol. 12 (4), pp. 20-51.
- Nacos, Brigitte L., Bloch-Elkon, Yaeli and Shapiro, Robert Y. (2007). “Post-9/11 Terrorism Threats, News Coverage, and Public Perception in the United States”. International Journal of Conflict and Violence, Vol. 1 (2), pp. 105-126.
- Bloch-Elkon, Yaeli and Lehman-Wilzig, Sam (2007). "Media Functioning during a Violent International Crisis: Differences between Elite and Popular Press Coverage of American Policy in Bosnia (1992-95)", in Nossek, H. Sreberny A. & Sonwalker P. (eds.), Media and Political Violence. NJ: Hampton, pp. 119-142.
- Shapiro, Robert Y. and Bloch-Elkon, Yaeli (2007). “Ideological Partisanship and American Public Opinion toward Foreign Policy”, in Halperon M.H et al. (eds.), Power and Superpower: Global Leadership and Exceptionalism in the 21st Century. NY: The Century Foundation Press, pp. 49-68.
- Nacos, Brigitte L., Bloch-Elkon, Yaeli and Shapiro, Robert Y. (2007). "The Threat of International Terrorism after 9/11: New Coverage and Public Perceptions”. Public Opinion Pros (Public Prospective Online), 15 pp.
- Nacos, Brigitte L., Bloch-Elkon, Yaeli and Shapiro, Robert Y. (2008). “Prevention of Terrorism in Post-9/11 America: News Coverage, Public Perceptions and the Politics of Homeland Security”. Terrorism and Political Violence, Vol. 20 (1), pp.1-25.
- Shapiro, Robert Y. and Bloch-Elkon, Yaeli (2008). "Do the Facts Speak for Themselves? Partisan Disagreement as a Challenge to Democratic Competence." Critical Review, Vol. 20 (1-2), pp.115-139.
- Shapiro, Robert Y. and Bloch-Elkon, Yaeli (2008). “Foreign Policy, Meet the People”. The National Interest, no. 97, September/October, pp. 37-42.
- Snyder, Jack L., Shapiro, Robert Y. and Bloch-Elkon, Yaeli (2009). “Free Hand Abroad, Divide and Rule at Home”. World Politics, January, pp.155-187.
- Bloch-Elkon, Yaeli and Shapiro, Robert Y. (2009). “Partisan Conflict and American Public Opinion towards East Asia". The Journal of Asiatic Studies, Vol. 52 (1), pp. 240-286.
- Bloch-Elkon, Yaeli (2011). "The Polls-Tends: Public Perceptions and the Threat of International Terrorism After 9/11", Public Opinion Quarterly, 75, pp. 366-392.
- Nacos, Brigitte L. and Bloch-Elkon, Yaeli (2011). "The Media, Public Opinion, and Terrorism", in Shapiro, R. Y. & Jacobs L. (eds.), Oxford Handbook of American Public Opinion and the Media. Oxford University Press, pp.69-712.
- Snyder, Jack J., Shapiro, Robert Y. and Bloch-Elkon, Yaeli (2011). "Free Hand Abroad, Divide and Rule at Home", in Ikenberry, J. G., Mastanduno, M. & Wohlforth W. C. (eds.), International Relations Theory and the Consequences of Unipolarity, Cambridge University Press, pp.178-215.
- Snyder, Jack J., Shapiro, Robert Y. and Bloch-Elkon, Yaeli (2012) "Free Hand Abroad, Divide and Rule at Home", in Snyder, Jack (ed.), Power and Progress: International Politics in Transition. New York, Routledge, pp. 236-256.
- Bloch-Elkon, Yaeli and Nacos L., Brigitte (2014). "News and Entertainment Media: Government’s Big Helpers in the Selling of Counterterrorism", Perspectives on Terrorism, 8, pp.18-32.
- Bloch-Elkon, Yaeli and Raynhold, Jonathan (2016). "Israeli Attitudes to the Obama Administration", in Inbar, Efraim, Raynhold, Jonathan (eds.), US Foreign Policy and Global Standing in the 21st Centuary. New York, Routledge., pp.248-266.
- Nacos, Brigitte L. and Yaeli Bloch-Elkon (2018). "U.S Media and Post 9-11 Human Rights Violations in the name of Counterterrorism", Human Rights Review, pp.1-18.
Bloch-Elkon, Yaeli (2005). "Silent Voices: Public Opinion and Political Participation in America", by Adam J. Berinsky, Political Science Quarterly, Vol. 120, pp. 516-518.
תחומי המחקר הם:
- תקשורת פוליטית: מסגור תקשורתי; תקשורת וטרור; תקשורת ומשברים בינ"ל/מדיניות-חוץ
- דעת-קהל: מפלגתיות
- שיטות מחקר כמותיות מתקדמות