LIST OF PUBLICATIONS
BOOKS (AS AUTHOR)
- Ilan, J. (2018). The International Photojournalism Industry: Cultural Production and the Making and Selling of News Pictures. New York: Routledge.
ARTICLES IN REFEREED JOURNALS
- Ilan, J. (2022). Live and Kicking: Digital Live Broadcasting Technologies, Participating Strangers and News Mobility. International Journal of Communication, 16, 2325-2344.
- Ilan, J. (2021). We Now Go Live: Digital Live-News Technologies and the “Reinvention of Live” in Professional TV News Broadcasting. Digital Journalism, 9(4), 481-499.
- Ilan, J. (2020). Glocalization and international news-photo production: News images from Israel made for global news markets. Journalism: Theory, Practice and Criticism, 21(6), 784-799.
- Ilan, J. (2019). Saving some news for later: The making and gatekeeping process of the national TV news filler. Communication Review, 22(1), 26-44.
- Ilan, J. (2017). News and the word-image problematic: A (key)word on international news pictures production. Journalism: Theory, Practice and Criticism, 18(8), 977-993.
- Ilan, J., and Kama, A. (2016). Where has all the magic gone?: Audience interpretive strategies of The Hobbit’s film/novel rivalry. Participations, 13(2), 289-307.
- Ilan, J. (2015) Over a dead body: International coverage of grief. Semiotica, 2015(205), 229-242.
- Ilan, J. (2015) Just when I thought I was in: Gaining access in a new(s) production ethnography. Journalism Practice, 9(2), 153-167.
- Ilan, J. (2014) Intertextuality and news photography production: International making of a pictorial echo. International Journal of Communication 8, 2879-2898.
- Ilan, J. (2013) The best of both worlds: The story of the Reuters picture service. Media History 19(1), 74-92.
CHAPTERS IN BOOKS
- Ilan, J. (2021). Glocalization and news production. In: Roudometof, V. and Dessi, U. (Eds.), Handbook of Culture and Glocalization. Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar Publishing. (Forthcoming)
ARTICLES IN THE MEDIA
Ilan, J. (2022, May 10). It’s not the cigarette in the terrorist’s mouth, it’s the braces. Opinions. Haaretz. https://www.haaretz.co.il/opinions/.premium-1.10790008.
Ilan, J. (2021, December 22). So Louie’s back (Ba-dum ching). The Times of Israel.
Ilan, J. (2021, October 25). The rapist officer did not operate in a vacuum. Haokets.
Ilan, J. (2021, October 5). 9/11: A rare televisual event. The Times of Israel.
Ilan, J. (2021, September 19). Watch out from the image of politicians in the kitchen. The7eye. https://www.the7eye.org.il/430078?fbclid=IwAR2pvrvVIKNCIhZnbOT_0bPkwwy0FmryxLPu96NleVQT_FGmMo45rNESrA0.
Ilan, J. (2021, September 10). Escaping prisoners and the open wild pit. Haokets.
Ilan, J. (2021, August 26). “Defeated” Hamas is having the upper hand. Opinions. Haaretz.
Ilan, J. (2021, May 19). There is no “image of victory”. Opinions. Haaretz. https://www.haaretz.co.il/opinions/.premium-1.9821598.
Ilan, J. (2021, March 18). The interview that keeps on giving nothing. Opinions. Haaretz.
Ilan, J. (2021, March 9). Drigues is paving his way back to the concentsuts. Haokets.
Ilan, J. (2016, January 19). The smartphones killed the referent. Markerweek. TheMarker.
PAPERS PRESENTED AT SCIENTIFIC CONFERENCES
- “Live and Kicking: Digital Live Broadcast Technologies, Live “Prodnewsers” and News Mobility”. Paper presented at the 8th International Congress of Audiovisual Researchers (CIIA) [on-line] held at the University of Lusofona, Lisbon, Portugal, June 2021.
- “We Now Go Live: Digital Live-News Technologies and the “Reinvention of Live” in Professional TV News Broadcasting. Paper presented at the 27th SEP International Congress (Digital Transformation: Challenges and Expectations for Journalism) conference [on-line] held at Seville, Spain, May 2021.
- “Reinventing Live in the News? LiveU’s Digital Live Broadcast Technology and its Implementation in Professional TV News”. Paper presented at the IAMCR [on-line] conference (Journalism Research & Education section) held at Tampere, Finland, July 2020.
- “Who was wrong and where”. Conference held at the Begin-Saadat Center for strategic research (BESA) at Bar-Ilan University, Israel, May 2019 (Chairman at the session: “The Blue & White party’s Commanders in Chief of the IDF and the Israeli Left: A sign of hope or disappointment?”).
- “Saving some news for later: The making and gatekeeping process of the national TV news filler”. Paper presented at the Third biennial conference of the Brussels Institute for Journalism Studies (BIJU) (“What’s (the) News? Values, Viruses and Vectors of Newsworthiness”) held at Brussels, Belgium, December 2018.
- “Local news imagery for global news markets: Glocalization and international news-photo production”. Paper presented at the ICA conference (Journalism Studies Division) held at Prague, Czech Republic, May 2018.
- The 22nd ISCA (Israeli Communication Association) conference held at the College of Management, Rishon Lezion, Israel, March 2018 (commentator at the Media and National Memory panel).
- “Film—Novel Rivalry in the Eyes of the Beholders: Viewers’ Observations on the Hobbit Cinematographic Adaptations”. Paper presented at the 12th Annual Association of Adaptation Studies Conference held at De Montfort University, Leicester, UK, September 2017.
- “A cinematic triumph or a catastrophic adaptation: Interpretive struggles of The Hobbit’s cinematic adaptation”. Paper presented at the Israeli Communications Association (ISCA) held at the Sapir College, Israel, April 2017.
- “Where has all the magic gone?: Audience interpretive strategies of The Hobbit’s film-novel rivalry”. Paper presented at the Edinburgh International Film Audiences Conference (EIFAC) held at Edinburgh, Scotland, March 2017.
- “Visual images for global news markets: Production mechanisms and international news organizations”. Paper presented at the “News images and icons in the digital age: Photojournalism in transition” workshop held at Tel-Aviv and Hebrew universities, Israel, January 2017.
- “Words selling images: International news pictures’ production and the word force dedicated to their commercial success”. Paper presented at the ICA conference (Media Industries division) held at Fukuoka, Japan, June 2016.
- “News and the word-image problematic: A (key)word on international news pictures’ production”. Paper presented at the ISCA conference held at Kineret College on the Sea of Galilee, Israel, April 2016.
- “News and the word-image problematic: A (key)word on international news pictures’ production”. Paper presented at the IAMCR conference (Journalism Research & Education section) held at UQAM, Montreal, Canada, July 2015.
- “Picturing the World's News: News Photography, Cultural Production, Thomson Reuters and the International Process of News Making” presented at the “Advancing Media Production Research” – an International Communication Association (ICA) post-conference symposium, Institute of Communications Studies, University of Leeds, June 2013.
- “Picturing the World's News: News Photography and Cultural Production in 'Thomson-Reuters’ International News Agency”. Presented at "History of electronic images: a long term perspective”. Cite’ des Te’le’coms, Pleumeur-Bodou, France. September, 2009.
- Doctoral thesis presented at the “Media, Communication and information Technologies: Developing Perspectives in Social Research” workshop. London School of Economics and Political Science. June 2009.
- “Shooting News for the world to see: Production Processes of News Pictures in a Global News Agency”. Paper presented at the conference “Behind the Camera, in front of the system”, Hadassah college of Jerusalem, Israel, May 2007
Live and Kicking: Digital Live-Broadcasting Technologies, Participating Strangers and News Mobility. Paper presented at the 72nd ICA conference (Mobile Communication Division) held at Paris, France, May 2022.